Category C1 7.5t Truck/Van Driving Lessons
(3 days training, test on the 3rd day & test fee)
(4 days training, test on the 4th day & test fee)
(5 days training, test on the 5th day & test fee)
You can drive vehicles weighing between 3,500 and 7,500kg (with a trailer up to 750kg).
Licences held before 1 January 1997
- this category was automatically awarded to all drivers passing their Car Driving test ( category B). Most people refer to this entitlement as "Grandfather Rights" or in official circles as "Acquired Rights" to drive a vehicle with a GVW of up to 7.5 Tonne.
Licences held from 1 January 1997
- The category is referred to as C1, it is a sub category of the Class C LGV driving entitlement. Upon passing an official DSA C1 Driving Test you will have the right to drive this category of vehicle
The minimum age for this licence is 18 years old and you must hold a full Cat B (car) and a Provisional Cat C1 licence.
In order to undertake the training you must first go through the following stages:
- Obtain the required application pack D2 & D4 (available from Big On Driver Training free).
- Get your doctor or Big On Driver Training doctor to carry out the required medical completing the D4 form.
- You complete the D2 provisional Cat C application form.
- You send both the D2 & D4 along with both parts of your existing licence to DVLA Swansea. There is NO FEE to pay and 10-15 working days later you should receive your new licence.
- Study for the theory test, we can supply the training books and discs for a small fee (optional).
- Pass the required theory test. The test is now a two part test and can be sat one after the other.
- Part 1 - 100 multiple choice questions (you must get 85 correct from the possible 100)
- Part 2 - Hazard perception 19 film clips from which you must correctly indicate developing hazards. In this part of the test you must achieve a score of 67 out of the available 100.
- Having passed the theory/hazard perception tests you can now undertake the practical driver training. Train to the DSA test standard and take the test.
- CPC Module 2 - Case Studies Test is a computer-base exercise. Click here for more info
- CPC Module 4 - Show me and Tell me exam. Click here for more info
On passing the test: you are licensed to drive any rigid lorry up to 7.5t towing a trailer no heavier than 750kg.