Category D1 Minibus Driving Lessons
(3 days training, test on the 3rd day & test fee)
(4 days training, test on the 4th day & test fee)
(5 days training, test on the 5th day & test fee)
You can drive vehicles with:
- no more than 16 passenger seats
- a maximum length not more than 8 metres
- a trailer up to 750kg
Licences held before 1 January 1997
If the minibus is not for ‘hire or reward’
- You may be able to drive a minibus with up to 16 passenger seats using your current car driving licence as long as it’s not for ‘hire or reward’ - ie there’s no payment from or on behalf of the passengers.
- You can drive a minibus in the UK and on temporary visits abroad.
- When your car licence is next renewed at the age of 70, you’ll need to re-apply for your entitlement and meet higher medical standards.
- You’ll need to order and complete a D2 application form and complete a D4 medical examination report.
Licences held from 1 January 1997
You can drive a minibus within the UK as long as the following conditions apply:
- you’re 21 or older
- the minibus is used for social purposes by a non-commercial body
- you’ve had your driving licence for at least 2 years
- you’re driving on a voluntary basis and the minibus is used for social purposes by a non-commercial body
- the maximum weight of the minibus is not more than 3.5 tonnes (or 4.25 tonnes including specialist equipment for disabled passengers, eg a wheelchair ramp)
- you’re not towing a trailer
The minimum age for this licence is 18 years old and you must hold a full Cat B (car) and a Provisional Cat D1 licence.
In order to undertake the training you must first go through the following stages:
- Obtain the required application pack D2 & D4 (available from Big On Driver Training free).
- Get your doctor or Big On Driver Training doctor to carry out the required medical completing the D4 form.
- You complete the D2 provisional Cat D application form.
- You send both the D2 & D4 along with both parts of your existing licence to DVLA Swansea. There is NO FEE to pay and 10-15 working days later you should receive your new licence.
- Study for the theory test, we can supply the training books and discs for a small fee (optional).
- Pass the required theory test. The test is now a two part test and can be sat one after the other.
- Part 1 - 100 multiple choice questions (you must get 85 correct from the possible 100)
- Part 2 - Hazard perception 19 film clips from which you must correctly indicate developing hazards. In this part of the test you must achieve a score of 67 out of the available 100.
- Having passed the theory/hazard perception tests you can now undertake the practical driver training. Train to the DSA test standard and take the test.
- CPC Module 2 - Case Studies Test is a computer-base exercise. Click here for more info
- CPC Module 4 - Show me and Tell me exam. Click here for more info
On passing the test: you are licensed to drive minibus towing a trailer no heavier than 750kg.